Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Heb 6:10-20 Anchor of the Soul

Tuesday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time

By JENNIFER BURGIN 

  ....we who have taken refuge might be strongly encouraged to hold fast to the hope that lies before us. This we have as an anchor of the soul, sure and firm, which reaches into the interior behind the veil,  where Jesus has entered on our behalf as forerunner, becoming high priest forever...


As a kid, I was mesmerized by the ocean. We lived near San Francisco Bay in the heart of a Northern California.  We often visited Fisherman's Wharf or drove through the hilly streets of downtown admiring the ocean front. I'll never forget the low lying fog, the damp chill, and the smell of the salty air.  

 Years later, after we moved to Dallas, I remember how my mother decorated my bedroom with an ocean-themed bed spread, artwork, and sea-related toys. She knew my childhood dream was to become a marine biologist someday.  I wanted to be a female Jacques Cousteau! I relished in the idea of saving the tortoises, the coral reefs, and the colorful fish.  The ocean's fauna and flora appealed to my childhood curiosity.  Sadly, my childhood dream never achieved reality.  God directed me on a totally different path; a path I never imagined so challenging yet spiritually fruitful.  

We all have dreams as children. Maybe we wish to become an NFL football star or an Olympic athlete.  Maybe we want to grow up to be a rock star or a famous actor.  Maybe life as a priest or sister will be a dream come true....

Dreams bring hope to the future. We have something to look forward to and something to prepare for.  When we stop dreaming, that's when life fails to progress.  I think of Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech.  Just imagine if Dr. King gave up his fight for Civil Rights. Wow, how things would be different.... 

Maybe we dream of becoming another Martin Luther King as we strive to preserve the Right to Life  from birth until natural death...

When the ocean of life becomes rocky, and our hopes and dreams crash around us, Jesus Christ is our rescue.  He is the anchor of the soul.  When we believe and trust in Him, our sailboats won't float away.  It's as if Jesus places an anchor around our hearts so that we never drift away from him permanently. Yes, there are times our hopes and dreams don't pan out.  We may blame God for our misfortunes, attempting to yank apart the heavy rope linking us to Christ's anchor.  However, we must remember that sometimes things don't work out because God has something else better planned!  Christ's anchor doesn't rust away.  It stays firmly in place in our soul.  When our souls wish to veer into uncharted territory, God doesn't allow us to stray too far.  In fact, with steadfast patience and eagerness to follow God's will our lives calm down.  Dire situations become smooth sailing.  Christ's anchor no longer feels heavy and burdensome.  

What are your dreams and ambitions?  Is Christ part of your plan?  Imagine sailing along the high seas destined for a promising future.  You have the anchor of the soul bound tightly to your vessel. Christ's anchor keeps you on course through life's ups and downs. The anchor is always set sure and firm in place.

“The ship of my life may or may not be sailing on calm and amiable seas. The challenging days of my existence may or may not be bright and promising. Stormy or sunny days, glorious or lonely nights, I maintain an attitude of gratitude. If I insist on being pessimistic, there is always tomorrow. Today I am blessed.”- Maya Angelou


This meditation was written by Jennifer Burgin.  Please follow her blog:  Jennifer's Spectrum of Spirituality



2 comments:

  1. Dear Fr. Alfonse. I am so happy you have others who are contributing to your blog. The teens are wonderful. Jennifer is wonderful. Augustine is wonderful. I'm so glad you are doing this, expanding your ministry and demonstrating how others can contribute to the kingdom of God.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, I completely agree. I'm especially impressed,with the students who are blogging here. Wish I had friends like them when I was in school--even more, I wish I'd been that sort of friend to others. Katie, Gaby, Sophie have been so blessed and are such a blessing to others. Not to slight the adults who are also great. I'm just astonished and encouraged by the wisdom of the youth we see here.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.