Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Saturday, November 13, 2010

Luke 18:1-8 A Just Decision

Luke 18: 1-8 A Just Decision

(Click here for readings)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Judged too much; given in too soon; given up too often and condemned too quickly. I am fully aware that I could have made better decisions, followed more sound principles, and developed better habits. Through it all, the Lord has shown to me His Way; that mercy and truth can co-exist as long as each is willing to take the back seat now and again to the other.

I cannot remember what Saint said it, but I do remember what they said. “If you ever have to choose between truth and mercy, choose mercy.” I am not even sure if the saint was a canonized saint. Regardless, it is a rule of thumb that is definitely not easy to apply. After all, we are not all called to live, speak and share the truth? Yes, but mercy always leaves the door open to God’s graces. How he wishes to move a soul is not necessarily my way, but I can be sure it is the best Way. Also, mercy shows tremendous hope and patience. The Lord’s timeline is not necessarily mine. He, like the Church, thinks in centuries. At best, I think of only today and tomorrow! So I ask the Lord to continuously inspire me, illuminate my mind and open my heart to give me His grace to make a holy decision.

Render to me, O Lord, a just decision.

Remove all that is selfish in me.

Surprise me by your past.

Encourage me along the path.

I will walk; never stop, along the way,

But continue to pray till the very end.

How important is prayer? It is essential. Without it I will never cross the abyss that separates me from my Lord. My actions will continue to fall short. My decisions will be precisely that, my decisions. Blessed the man who fears the Lord” (Ps. 112:1), who desires to be just rather than to be right. Who is moved by the Spirit and not by the flesh. Who seeks the one who is good instead of what is simply good. Prayer insists: Do not speak until you have listened! Do not seek until you have found! Do not be harsh unless you have been in the light.

The Lord was harsh, but never in a moment filled with darkness and confusion. He knew what he must say. He said what His Father would say. He spoke the Father’s thoughts for He is the Word of God.

May I never grow weary in seeking what is good, right and holy. May my meditation today be a prayer to Him. May I secure His rights rather than my own. May a decision never be just a decision but always a just decision. A decision worthy of Thee.


2 comments:

  1. Reading this meditation inspires me to thank God for His mercy in my life, its all His giving. I am in debt of God's grace! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite a revelation when you've spent your entire life believing that the truth is always the right way to go. It almost seems like using mercy is a loophole for not being truthful and you can justify untruth without even realizing you are doing it.

    I guess more discernment is required, which,as you said, absolutely requires prayer.

    But as my mama always said, the truth is always easier than a lie, which it looks like, if I'm getting what you are saying, actually holds true here. mmmmm makes you think.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.