Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Friday, November 26, 2010

Luke 21: 29-33 Brace Yourselves

Luke 21: 29-33 Brace Yourselves!

(Click here for readings)

Where sin lives, hell reigns!

Early this morning the sky was beautiful. Before the sun rose from its slumber, the stars were so bright; heaven lit up! After a storm comes clarity and last night was no exception. I began my meditation early this morning and I went for a walk. I know in my heart that there are many graces the Lord wishes to give to me this Advent. What kind, I do not know. But we do know that the Lord lives among his people (Rev 21:3b). He loves to be with us. He loves to share time with us. He even loves to sit and observe us. What does he observe from me? What does he see?

“My offenses truly I know them; my sin is always before me. Against you, you alone, have I sinned; what is evil in your sight I have done.” (Ps 51) And so, what shall I do?

St. John, in the Book of Revelation, sees heaven and hell, angels and wild beasts, ancient serpents and fallen angels. He also sees the Lamb and his throne, souls and their deeds. He sees more than we could ever imagine because he has eyes of faith, and when there is faith, there is the Lord. What does he do with all these graces? He holds onto the Word for dear life!

Jesus told his disciples a parable about anticipation, “When the buds burst open, you see for yourselves and know that summer is now near.” In the same way, when we experience the Lord’s presence in our lives we know that the Kingdom of God is near. The Lord loves to be with us; to share time with us. When he is near to us, the Kingdom of God is near. Do not allow the day to end without having caught sight of the Lord. His presence is felt most when his grace is embraced. Embrace his grace more than your sins! If I am not happy with who I am or where I am, then I haven't reached the height or depth the Lord wants me to go. The Lord is telling me, "start moving towards me."

Some time ago, while I was meditating, I suddenly felt a wave of despair come over me. It is hard to describe and I wish I had a better word for it. It definitely felt like a wave rushing over me and it definitely did not feel good. It wasn’t the first time this happened, and I am sure it will not be the last time. It doesn’t happen often but it is easily recognizable, it is definitely something supernatural. But what I would like to say is that it is a wave that is unmistakable and unforgettable. How did I handle it? What did I do? I completely ignored it and continued meditating on the word of God. This was my greatest light: Ignore it. This has to be our response – always. We must never give evil a second thought, a second glance or a second chance. It is a waste of time and grace.

Heaven and earth will pass away, but the Lord’s word will never pass away. Christ will never fail; he will never die; he will never come to an end. Darkness will never overcome the light. There is a reason why the Lord called himself the Light of the World, but light is not at the end of the tunnel, Christ is. His presence is not felt in cowardice or in self-pity (false humility). His love is not felt in knocking oneself down or allowing self-hate to fill one’s heart. This tree, my life, is good because it was planted by Him and it will produce fruit for Him. I will not allow the vultures in the sky steal it from Him.

The winter season is a beautiful time of year for it is obedient and follows the Liturgical year. Winter is not a time of hibernation – it is a time of meditation and reflection - to get away and find some hidden corner to enjoy silence, simplicity and solitude. Embrace these moments, do not let them slip away.

There is a tree that is waiting to bloom, and that tree, this tree of life is you. It is time to get away; to allow the arrival of winter to purify the heart and mind and cleanse the soul to renewal. We know what it takes? The best remedy of selfishness is selflessness. Embrace the greatest grace the Lord gave to you: Embrace who you are so that the Lord can transform who you are and create a love-gift.

Where grace lives; heaven reigns!

3 comments:

  1. “Embrace his grace more than your sins! If I am not happy with who I am or where I am, then I haven't reached the height or depth the Lord wants me to go. The Lord is telling me, "start moving towards me."”

    There was a time, a long time when I never thought once about my sins, or didn’t think sin even really existed, after all, if I didn’t think it was a sin, it wasn’t, right?

    After my ‘conversion/reversion’ or beginning of my continuous worldly conversion, whatever it is, I started to see sin in everything I did and I focused on it entirely instead of His grace. I wasted much time and grace there. He got me coming and going!

    “I suddenly felt a wave of despair come over me.”…”We must never give evil a second thought, a second glance or a second chance. It is a waste of time and grace.”

    I have felt that as well, but I spent time trying to figure it out. I engaged it. I allowed it in and it infected my thoughts and from there, it grew into a drama, (to use Father’s word from a few days ago). It was definitely a waste of time, A LOT of time and grace. It steered me away from where He wanted me.

    I have had some deep moments in prayer lately and I keep hearing over and over, that if there is no peace it is not from God, the devil cannot fake peace. I don’t know if that’s true, but it has helped me discern what’s what and who’s who quite well and quickly. And I have, for the first time in my life, been able to ignore him who seeks to destroy.


    “There is a tree that is waiting to bloom, and that tree, this tree of life is you… Embrace who you are so that the Lord can transform who you are and create a love-gift.”

    This Advent, for the first time in my life, I am going to take full advantage of this time to grow closer to God, to embrace who I am and to become who He created me to be.

    I am not going to get caught up in the business of the consumerism, trying to keep up with everyone by throwing the best party, serving the best food, having the most elaborately decorated house, worrying about any of those things that don’t lead me toward Him.

    I am going to spend it enjoying the gifts of the people God has placed in my life and giving myself as a gift to them and mostly spending time getting to know the Lord more deeply and I will not waste any more grace!

    I know that's alot to share, but today you really gave me a lot to reflect on and much direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both for sharing, especially today in this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Father for the beautiful meditation this morning. Me and my family could really use some quiet time this Advent season. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.