Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Saturday, November 27, 2010

Luke 21: 34-36 Be Vigilant!

Luke 21: 34-36 Be Vigilant!

(Click here for readings)

“Marana tha! Come, Lord Jesus!” (Rev. 22:20c)

The early Christians were eagar for Christ's return. But the Lord did not appear. Instead, he instructs us to be patient and vigilant; to wait until the dust settles. With the Lord’s delay comes carousing and drunkenness. The added anxieties of the day can easily hold hostage our hearts and muddle our minds. Today, the Lord reminds us of how easy it is to fall apart! We know that the heart can grow weary, the mind – a little cloudy, and the soul a little dry. Be vigilant, seek the Lord! Invite him into your life! Do not hold him back. Allow him to circulate in your veins and arouse your heart. Let us cry out to the Lord, “Marana tha! Come, Lord Jesus!”

This is the Christian's battle cry; the most ancient prayer said out loud during the Roman and Jewish persecutions. It also seems to be their most solemn prayer. It should be mine too, especially:

When life is good, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

When difficulties abound and I cannot face another day, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

When I think I have the strength to keep going on, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

When I am full of joy, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

When I’m sinking deeper and deeper into despair, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

When I am lost and cannot find my way back to you, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

When I am afraid or alone, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

When I sing or cry out to you, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

When I am tired of carrying my cross, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

When I think I understand, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

When hopelessness enters my heart, “Come Lord Jesus!”

When I don’t know what I am doing, “Come Lord Jesus!”

When I think I know what I am doing, “Come Lord Jesus!”


Every time I make a decision, “Come Lord Jesus!”

Every time I speak to another, “Come Lord Jesus!”

Every time I get into my car, “Come Lord Jesus!”

Every time I go home, “Come Lord Jesus!”

Every time I go shopping, “Come Lord Jesus!”

Every time I use the Internet, “Come Lord Jesus!”

Every time I use my phone, “Come Lord Jesus!”

Every time I go to Mass, “Come Lord Jesus!”

Every time I pray, “Come Lord Jesus!”


The Lord demands my love – with all my heart, all my soul, all my strength and all my will. Come Lord Jesus, into my body and blood, into my daily activities and into my life. Amen!


1 comment:

  1. Dear Fr. Alfonse,

    Today in your homily you talked about being vigilant and how the Lord doesn't just appear in a flash. How it has already been two thousand year and we are still waiting but that we need to live out our lives as Christians.

    It reminded me of the song by Casting Crowns, "Slow Fade". The song talks about how we don't crumble in a day. How we slowly let the things that we think, look at and say, that are not Christ-like, cause us to crumble.

    We need to be vigilant in our prayer life, we need to not deceive ourselves into believing that one "little" lie is ok, one movie with immoral values is ok because we don't live like that, or that I am justified in being hurtful with my words because I was hurt by what the other person said to me.

    As you mentioned in your homily and your meditation, we need to call upon the Lord to be a part of every moment of our day. This way I won't crumble under the pressures of this world and will be ready for the Lord when He does come.

    "Be vigilant at all times and pray that you have the strength to escape the tribulations that are imminent and to stand before the Son of Man" (Luke 21:36).

    Lord,
    Give me the strength to do Your will and to invite You into every part of my life. So that one day I will be able to stand before You and hear the words, "good and faithful servant". This I pray through Christ our Lord. Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.