Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Luke 19:11-17 What Success Looks Like

Luke 19: 11-17 What Success Looks Like

(Click here for readings)

Why do you do it? When people ask for you why do you always say yes? You need to spend some time for yourself. This is what’s been going on in my mind this morning. I will explain why.

A few days ago I got a phone call from two religious orders: Sisters of Mt. Carmel and the Missionaries of Charity. They needed a priest this week, bright and early for their morning Mass. I looked at my schedule and it would be tight, but not impossible. I told them that I would do it. Today, I am sick and this morning I am off to do the first Mass.

This is no pity party. I know added commitments happen to moms and dads all the time, and probably more frequently than for priests! We push ourselves. We drive ourselves. But what drives me? I prefer to be driven by God for God than to be driven by fear, frustration, anger and health (wellness in today’s preferred nomenclature).

Our concerns are admirable. But the Lord’s concerns are holy. I recall yesterday’s Scripture where the Lord admonishes his people, “I advise you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich, and white garments to put on so that your shameful nakedness may not be exposed, and buy ointment to smear on your eyes so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and chastise. Be earnest, therefore, and repent.” (Rev. 3:1-6, 14-22)

There we have it. This is what success looks like.

If you ever want to know what success looks like then look at the Cross. Yes, the Cross - the Cross of our salvation, the Cross of our Redemption. The Lord’s Cross is the only one that leads all men to eternal life. Look at the Cross and believe like the people of the Old Testament, smitten by the serpents in the desert and saved by Christ’s prototype. Moses lifted high above his head the bronze serpent, whoever looked at it did not die but was saved. “Just as Moses raised the bronze serpent in the desert, so will the Son of Man be raised.” All who looked at Him were saved. SUCCESS = CROSS. There is no love without sacrifice. No sacrifice without cost. No further cost than to lay down your life for your friends.

Christ was the bravest man in the world; he defended the Truth till the end. Christ was the strongest man in the world; he carried upon His shoulders the sins of the world. He carried his cross until he completed His mission: Victory over Death. Christ was the greatest man that ever lived. His life was completely, unconditionally devoted to his Father. To do his Father’s Will was his greatest desire and for that, the Father raised Him up and gave his Son EVERYTHING! The son, faithful to His Father, inherits everything. The son, faithful to His Father, stays united to Him.

Look at the Cross and see the most successful man in the Universe. Success looks like Christ. Success speaks the words that Christ spoke: “Thy Will be done.” This was his lifelong motto. Success means to be faithful to your word, to your promises, to your commitment, to your mission, to your values, principles, morals, dignity. Be earnest, therefore, and repent.” It means to take the talents that the Lord gave and multiply them so they may yield exponential fruit!

Success requires integrity which means to be a man of God. What words would best describe the attitude of Christ nailed to the Cross? “It is finished.” I often tell moms and dads that their vocation in life is to die to their family. I am proud to say it. It is the highest form of flattery.

Let us pray to God the Father that we will have the courage and the strength to speak these words at the end of our lives.

5 comments:

  1. So what are you saying? We should give until we are sick? What about all the commitments we've made that we won't be able to keep because we are too sick to keep them? What about the yes’s that we give that we know will take away from someone else or even our own well being?

    How does us giving it all, taking the beating, allowing ourselves to be 'killed' redeem anything? Where does our self-care come in? Where is the line between loving ourselves enough to say no and giving more than we have to give (at least without injuring ourselves)?

    This has been a question I’ve had for a long time. I hope you can explain(when you get well:) I don’t think I’m alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get well soon Fr. Alphonse. Our family prays for you daily. Your words are truly inspirational. Our kids really take all you say to heart. Our daughter raved about the reconciliation talk you gave last Sunday at SAY. We hope you are well enough to be there tonight. Otherwise, get some rest and drink lots of fluids. Sending a big mental hug your way...
    Peace and Blessings,
    A St. Ann family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know the answer! :-) But I can say that today I experienced a miracle!!!! I will tell you all about it tomorrow!!! God bless you. I think the answer to your question is to discern through prayer. The Lord and your body will tell you when you need to back away. But, a sacrifice is literally that, a sacrifice - giving till it hurts. But the Lord does not want you to commit suicide obviously. He wants us to give of ourselves. I think most of us, especially the men (sorry) can do a little more giving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fr. Alphonse. Always a great pleasure to hear your words and thoughts. Your gift of being able to break things down and truly inspire across all age groups is remarkable. We all love you and pray for your continued service as we are blessed to have such a great role model and spiritual leader for us and our children. Get well soon.

    In His Name

    ReplyDelete
  5. Father
    Thank you for your honesty and taking the time to answer when your answer couldn't be cut and dry. Nothing about any of this is easy. I guess that's why it's called sacrifice.

    I can't wait to hear about your miracle:>

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.