Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, November 15, 2010

Luke 18:35-48 Giving Sight

Luke 18: 35-43 Giving Sight

(Click here for readings)

I was on a plane when the gentleman sitting next to me asked me if I were a Catholic priest. He then went on to explain to me with great enthusiasm his theory of the Universe and how he believed it originated from a tremendous explosion of energy that culminated in the creation of life on earth. This was hardly new to me. I responded by telling him how I too believed in Father Georges Lemaitre’s theory of the “Big Bang” (Most people do not know that the first to propose such a theory was actually a Catholic priest-mathematician and physicist) but that the universe was created not from a tremendous explosion of energy, but of love, and that it culminated in the creation of man on earth. Pure energy destroys. Only pure love can create! Yes, we were created to eat and breathe but so much more than that. Our brains were created for survival, but it is more than obvious that they were created for more than that! We exist for only one reason: to love and be loved, just like our Founder, our Creator - our God! We were created in His image, and we will never be satisfied until we have found our true love. If I want to satisfy my deepest longing, then I must start at the top! Only then can I work my way down to my neighbor. By the time our flight landed, we had quite the conversation: lively, hilarious and eye opening.

Today’s Gospel reminds me that the Lord not only gave physical sight to the blind man, he gave him spiritual sight as well. Another definition of faith, maybe the more beautiful one, is to give sight beyond reason; to see beyond the obvious. Faith exists not so much to see how “far we have fallen” (Rev. 2:4) but to see how far we can love! St. John reminds the Church in Ephesus, “you have lost the love you had at first.” Why? I think the reason was primarily because they lost the reason for their love. They had forgotten Jesus.

This morning I listened to 25 first-confessions. I gave a talk before hand. I mentioned to the children that the best confessions are the most honest ones. I reminded them that when they confess their sins, their sins are forgiven, forgotten, forever! They looked excited. But they didn’t know why? How could it be so easy? They had no clue why they would get off the hook, or better, off the cross. I taught them this lesson and I hope they will never forget: “Yes, your sins will be forgiven, forgotten, forever; but at a very high price. Instead of you getting in trouble, Christ will get in trouble for you. Instead of you getting punished, Christ will get punished for you. Instead of you getting hurt, Christ will get hurt for you. Instead of you being grounded, Christ will get thrown to the ground, stepped on, punched, spit on and nailed for you.” The kids got it, and so did their parents. That was my goal. Mission accomplished.

Faith enlightens our minds and inflames our hearts to give reason for why we do what we do. That is, to put it all together; to go beyond the how’s of life to the why’s of life; to go beyond the atoms that exist and put them all together and rediscover the purpose of life - not to love atoms but to love Adam. Yes, we are all here. May I never forget how beautiful this is. I am alive. I have made it and so have you.

During the holidays, we hear so much about giving. The how to give has never been forgotten. The reason to give is slipping away. T ‘is the season to be jolly. T ‘is the season to be giving. But why? Why is now the time to give? Is it because of climate change (season’s greetings)? No. It is because it is the time to celebrate the greatest gift ever given: the gift of our Lord who became a child. I know it is early. But it is never too soon to see the Light, to refresh our memories. To go back and discover what was lost.

This season, give the greatest gift one could ever give: the gift of our faith. Share your faith, buy a book, pray for someone, give them a crucifix, a bible, a holy card, a free retreat, an invitation to Mass, a subscription to any devotional materials, a favorite Christian CD, etc…

This season, help others to discover who the Lord is so they may never forget who they are. He is love and I am his beloved. I do not fear for the lame or the crippled; I do not fear for the blind or sick. I still remember the blind man’s line from the movie Bella: “God made me blind so that I might see.” I do not fear for them. Rather, I fear for those who are whole and have a gaping hole. Let us pray for those who have gone down with the Titanic but let us pray even more for those who have survived, for much is expected to those who go on living. Much will be demanded from them and from all of us.

How can I forget the power of my God and my faith? It saves me in times of trouble. Allow the Lord to put it all together and give us sight with his incredible light.

4 comments:

  1. You brought tears to my eyes there at the end!

    My favorite quote from Bella is, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!" He's rolling on the floor with all my plans! But, I'm learning to ask Him what His plans are for me and comply even when I don’t want to or when His plans don't make sense to me…..yet. (I get so excited when He’s right and I get to see it right away.) Obedience has been a very hard, but valuable lesson for me. Thank you Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This meditation was beautiful Fr. Alfonse!!!
    It expressed perfectly the deeper understanding of faith that I have been praying about these last couple of weeks. Simply that we must remember not to be reductionist in the way we approach faith. In seeking to understand faith we can get so caught up in seeking reasons, and proofs that we forget the fundamentals: That there are Truths which we also call mysteries. Faith is not contrary to reason, but at times it supersedes it. It seems to me that 'having' faith is only possible with the experience of love…And, for me, the greatest experience of love is found in God on the Cross.

    Thank you for your faith Fr. Alfonse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you father Al.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for coming tonight to Seton! I am so glad my daughter had the opportunity to celebrate her first Reconciliation with you. I wish she had met you face to face for it, but she was a little nervous :) Thank you for working through Christ so our sins can be forgiven, forgotten, forever! I'm sure I will see you around St. Joseph's soon, but if I don't, have a blessed Advent and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.