Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Friday, August 20, 2010

Mt 22:34-40 Everything Depends on Him

Matthew Mt 22:34-40 Everything Depends On Him

You know that the beginning is the most important part of any work, especially in the case of a young and tender thing; for that is the time at which the character is being formed and the desired impression is more readily taken…Shall we just carelessly allow children to hear any casual tales which may be devised by casual persons, and to receive into their minds ideas for the most part the very opposite of those which we should wish them to have when they are grown up? We cannot… (Plato’s Republic)

“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth…” (Gen 1:1). “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” (Jn 1:1). The beginning is the most important part of any work because it is always the best place to start. This is true not only in the work that we do, but also in the thought that goes into it. Today, the Lord is asking to put him first - in our thoughts, words and actions. All that I think, say and do should be an acceptable gift to the Lord. No more running or hiding from the Lord. Do not delay! This day belongs to God, who made heaven and earth…and me. “Give thanks to the Lord; his love is everlasting!” (Ps 107:1).

How I long to see His face! How I long to be in His presence. What the Lord has given to me is more precious than the finest gifts, more satisfying than the greatest banquet; more rewarding than the mightiest accomplishments. He has given me a share in His life! What is more precious, more valuable, more satisfying than friends to love, enemies to forgive and a life spent in his service – His army! Flesh and bones have come to life! The spirit of the Lord has gathered the clay, spun the wheel and fashioned my bones and flesh and given me life! We are alive! Everything depends on Him: life, death, forgiveness and salvation. He is the first. He is also the last.

“Teacher, which commandments in the Law is the greatest?” Jesus knew the answer and I know the answer too, but do I believe it? Do I still need proof? Does the Lord still need proof to believe in me? That I am good in heart? That my thoughts are not so bad? That my actions are for a good reason? To believe fully, wholeheartedly, and to put an end to this debate once and for all, the Lord invites us to “Love God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.” Believe and see. There are many reasons why this is the greatest commandment. It is the beginning of justice; mercy and compassion; love and understanding. It is the end, the goal, of life, of history and our salvation! The second is similar to the first, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” I could never love God as much as he loves me. I can only love my neighbor as much as I love myself. The Lord ties the knot at the beginning and at the end.

Today, bring to the forefront of your mind and heart, the reality of life on earth and in Heaven. Notice everything: the sky, earth, sun, clouds, moon, flowers, trees, people – everything - the living and the dead. Do not miss a single opportunity to be surprised by what we take for granted. You will not be the first. Read the Book of Daniel 3:57-88.


2 comments:

  1. I will bless the Lord and praise and exalt Him above all forever!!!
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Love God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.”
    How I long to see His face! How I long to be in His presence.

    I never thought I could really love God more than my children. I could say it, but I didn’t mean it. What kind of mother could put anything or anyone before her children? How could He expect me to love Him more than the very gifts of life he entrusted to me? They are part of my flesh and blood, my heart, I can touch and see them, feel their love, and I would protect them with my own life. They need me. God is out there somewhere far away dealing with way more important things than my life. He is, after all, God of the universe! What difference could I possibly make to Him?

    Then it all changed, with His grace. The scales fell from my eyes. I was able to put everything into perspective and truly put God First! I still can’t believe it, that’s how impossible I thought it was.

    But that doesn’t mean my actions always reflect this change. I wonder would anyone even know from my actions that anything has changed? Unfortunately, it seems that the closer I think I get, the farther away I am.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.