Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mt 11:28-30 I Am Meek and Humble of Heart


Matthew 11:28-30 I Am Meek and Humble of Heart

Yesterday, Jesus instructed his disciples that to be childlike is a virtue pleasing to the Father. Today, we learn the Lord is “meek and humble of heart.” The advantage of not having everything our own way is that the Lord invites us to have it His Way. Is this not the best way? “The way of the just is smooth; the path of the just you make level. Yes, for your way and your judgments, O Lord, we look to you; Your name and your title are the desire of our souls!” (Isaiah 26:7-9)

I often repeat to teens, who struggle with their faith, that there are two rules in life: do what is right; do what is good. If not, then you will pay the price! A lack of faith is no excuse for moral failure. Again, the advantage of not having everything our own way is not a childish dependency but a wake-up call to look beyond the present temptation - in our face - and seek that which is better - the face of God. “Lord, where else shall we go? Only you have the words of eternal life” (John 6:68). So let us listen to the Lord as he instructs us: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.” There is a place that I may go, and a person that I can seek, that will help me to carry the burdens and pains of my past and the struggles and temptations of the present, so that my future may be secured in Him who died for me! Christ’s love is smooth and soothing.

Now the Lord’s invitation, “Come to me”, is much more demanding and profound for the one who is called Christian. Am I not called by name to be another Christ? Am I not called to be the same as Jesus? Like Father, like son? A disciple of the Lord is an imitator of the Lord. St. Paul reminds the early Christians, “Imitate me, as I imitate Christ” (1Cor 11:1). Does St. Paul not “bear the marks of the Lord” (Gal 6:17)? Jesus invites his followers to be created in His image and likeness. To be another Christ means to allow others to “come to me.” Yes. “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.” How often have I read these words and meditated on them without ever understanding that my call from God is to make life easier for others; to bear the marks of the Lord? To be a Christian means to open my eyes, my ears and my mouth so that others may open their heart, mind and soul to the One who raises us up!

Jesus invites us to bring our burden, our struggles, and our sins to Him, the one who can carry all burdens, endure all struggles and bear all sins. He is the Good Shepherd who carries the lost sheep upon his shoulders. As a Christian, I have been lifted up by the Lord and I am called to do some lifting as well! He asks from me what he has done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.