Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, October 1, 2012

Luke 9:46-50 An Argument Arose

Luke 9:46-50  An Argument Arose
An argument arose among the disciples about which of them was the greatest.  Jesus realized the intention of their hearts and took a child and placed it by his side. 
An argument arose.  The truth can be very embarrassing.  Accepting the truth can be very humiliating.  But the sacred writers were neither embarrassed nor ashamed to hide from their readers their weaknesses; that is, those moments when they thought more like men do and less like God does. 
The disciples were arguing about which of them was “the greatest”.  Now, if they were arguing about such things, then for sure they were comparing themselves to each other.  That is, they were measuring each other up according to their own standards, persona, and imagination.  We all tend to do that a lot.  Even though we “hate” when it happens to us, we love to compare ourselves to others.  And when we do that, not only do arguments breakout, but resentment overwhelms us.    
Resentment is an awful thing.  I know because I have experienced it many times in my life.  I’ve gotten a lot better at it over the years.  It used to take me a year to get other a grudge.  Now, it only takes me ten months!!!
Resentment is awful.  It is a psychological autointoxication.  It is a poisoning that comes from within us; it eats away at our flesh, interior life and interior peace.  Resentment is not caused by anyone other than oneself; it is home grown.  It is a self-inflicted wound that we keep opening up time after time after time.
The word “resentment” says it all.  It is the “re-sending” or “re-living” over and over again of an aggression committed against us.  It is a horrible mind game.  The aggression could either be in the form of an action or omission or even circumstance.  We feel resentment when someone, either physically or verbally, insults us.  We feel it when others omit us or give us no recognition or credit.  Finally, we can feel a tremendous amount of resentment towards loved ones - God and friends - due to an illness, physical defect or family/economic situation.
The only way to handle these situations is to think clearly and objectively, and by not exaggerating or embellishing the situation or the incident.
Resentment is never positive.  It is always a negative reaction.  Therefore, it isn’t necessarily the offense that triggers resentment but rather my personal response to it.
It isn’t what others do to us or the mistakes that we make that hurt us, but rather our response to it.
Jesus realized the intention of their hearts. The Lord’s response to his disciples was eye opening.  He took a child, brought it next to him and said to his disciples: “Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.  For the one who is least among all of you is the one who is the greatest.” 

If there is ever a time when I should feel “jealous” or “envious” or even “resentful” towards another is when they know how to love more, forgive more and give more than I do.  That’s when I should be jealous and work my bottom off to be more loving, more forgiving and more giving.  I should not be having a competition among my peers on who is the greatest.  I should be having a competition on who can be the smallest; the one who can serve the most, if not all.
I doubt the disciples changed overnight.  It takes hard work, faith, hope and love to change.  But by the looks of it and by the humble examples given to us in scripture, they obviously did change, and change for the better.  They became the apple of the Lord’s eye when they were able to finally unite their will to His STEEL will. 
A weak will or character will continue to play an offense even after a great length of time has passed.  Now is the time to stop the chain of feelings!  Give the Lord your heart and allow him to replace it with His simple heart.  Now is the time to “re-send” over and over again the fact that the Lord is more powerful than any of our weaknesses; more loving than anyone’s insults; more knowing than anyone’s omissions.
The Lord knows me.  He knows everything.  He knows me well.  He created me.   Do not let anyone twist you, break you or even confuse you.  Rather, allow the Lord to be the one that builds you and defines you.   

2 comments:

  1. Jesus meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto thine.Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanna destroy your family? Marinate in resentment. Wanna heal your hardened heart...turn to the angels, saints, our Blessed Mother and our Lord. I have watched as resentment has torn someone very close to me apart, drawn them very far from family and God. The walls of resentment are high. I love St. Justin Martyr's wisdom "The greatest grace God can give someone is to send him a trial he cannot bear with his own powers-and then sustain him with his grace so he may endure to the end and be saved." Thank you Father. I feel like the scripture readings and your meditations are directed at me right now.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.