Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, October 22, 2012

Mk 10:35-45 Pride and Decline


Mk 10:35-45  Pride and Decline

James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to Jesus and said to him, “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.”  He replied, “What do you wish me to do for you?”  They answered him, “Grant that in your glory we may sit one at your right and the other at your left.”  Jesus aid to them, “You do not know what you are asking…to sit at my right or at my left is not mine to you but is for those for whom it has been prepared.”

Most people love the underdog because most people hate their boss. 

It is truly a blessing to work for a boss who is both humble and effective.  Unfortunately, it is a rare thing.  Instead, most people work for someone who is either one or the other, or neither.  If your boss is neither, then chances are he/she is prideful and easily gets jealous. 

Pride is a horrible thing.  It’s debilitating.  It prevents growth.  It prohibits a person from being truly human, for if you have to be “perfect” all the time, then you can’t be human most of the time.  Pride is the source of many headaches.  It is the source of so much stress, of sleepless nights.  After all, if you have to be “right” all the time then it can keep you up all night long.

Jealousy is a horrible thing in the work force too.  It stunts individual growth.  It suffocates creativity in the work force.  It stifles growth for the company. If you do a better job than your boss then chances are you will suffer, and suffer greatly. 

Instead of receiving a pat on the back, you can expect a stab in the back. 

While I was a member of a religious community here in Dallas and worked for one of our schools, I would often seek permission to celebrate Mass at various parishes.  But I was often told that it wasn’t our “charism” to help parishes with Sunday masses.  I knew better.  I knew it would help build better relations with other (diocesan) priests.  I also knew I would meet a lot of wonderful families that might consider sending their kids to our fledgling school.  I was right.  It all came together and our school actually grew in numbers.

When Parkland Hospital asked me to be their chaplain, my religious superior recommended that I use my time in better ways.  I knew better.  I knew that I would meet highly motivated people (volunteers) in the most obvious but unlikeliest of places:  among the poor.  Again, it all worked out.  I met some incredible people and highly successful business men who were willing to help our school grow.  But in the end, jealousies got in the way of it all. In the end it all came to an end. 

The fact that man can be so intelligent, and yet so jealous and prideful, makes God ever more remarkable.  God is remarkable because He is so humble and efficient.  He gets the job done and he gives us all the benefits! 

I have never heard or seen a boss (or an atheist) say or do what God said and did:  “I did not come to be served but to serve and to give my life as a ransom for many.”  I have only read these words from Jesus Christ and witnessed it lived out by those who followed Him. 

You know that those who are recognized as rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them.  Does the Lord “lord” over his people?  Does the Lord demand He be called “Master”?  He should…but he doesn’t.

I fear that most of us deep down believe that Christ was simply a dreamer; that His way of life is as beautiful as poetry and as impractical as living like a poet; that His way of thinking is great for classroom discussion but totally irrelevant on Wall Street.
 
I have been observing something for a while now.  Correct me if I am wrong.  I don’t want to sound racist, but I need to say something that I have observed for some time now.  I have noticed how Asian immigrants as a group tend to be more respectful towards others than others.  I have also noticed how African immigrants tend to be more cordial and joyful than others.  Finally, I have also noticed how many South Americans tend to work in harder places and in the most humble of places than others.  Now what do all three of these groups have in common?  They all tend to be more humble and capable than others; and as a result, they tend to be more religious than others.

I have noticed how pious Asians are, and it is beautiful.  I have noticed how Africans pray and sing, and it is beautiful.  I have also noticed how South Americans love their saints, the Blessed Virgin Mary and the crucifix. 

What I have also noticed is the opposite when it comes to Europeans and North Americans.  They tend to be less humble and much bossier.  I think it is because they are less faith-filled than others.  Do you see the connection? 

Our jealousy and pride is directly related to our faith life.  Our faith life is not dependent on God and what He does for us.  Rather, it is totally dependent on how we respond to God in our lives.  Faith is our humble response to God’s enormous gift of life, of redemption and of providence.  A strong prayer life is only possible (and logical) if we are not full of ourselves and can easily give credit where credit is due (share our successes with others).  If we have a hard time doing one or the other, then chances are we will not be able to be believers in Jesus Christ or even followers of His most humble teachings. 

History has shown that the mighty and powerful crumble and fall.  What historians typically write is that poor decisions led to their demise.  What they don’t write is that it was their pride that killed them and their empires. 

Pride in ourselves will be the cause of our decline.  Faith in Jesus Christ will be the cause of our resurrection. 

1 comment:

  1. I believe Hispanic, Mexican American and Latin Americans has a lot Pride! and in the same token they humble as well! GO FIGURE . LOL

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.