Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Friday, October 10, 2014

Lk 11:15-26 Driving Out All Demons

Friday of the Twenty-Seventh Week in Ordinary Time
(Click here for readings)

When Jesus had driven out a demon, some of the crowd said: "By the power of Beelzebul, the prince of demons, he drives out demons."  Others, to test him, asked him for a sign from heaven.  But he knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be laid waste and house will fall against house..."

Not too long ago I read an article regarding an atheist who asked Pope Francis to bless his family.

Eugenio Scalfari, one of Italy's most prominent atheist intellectuals and for twenty years the editor of the newspaper La Repubblica, said the Pope had visited his family and blessed them following his request.  ...He said, "I have told the Pope something else.  I want him to bless my family.  'Whatever you want,' he told me.  'Just call me and I will receive your family and bless them.'"

Why did Scalfari ask the Holy Father to bless his family?  I'm not sure.  But I am sure the Holy Father demanded from Scalfari an honest working relationship with him, that eventually - maybe to his surprise - turned into an honest friendship.  After all, as editor of a left-leaning newspaper, Scalfari has made his wealth and success off of political affairs and scandals, some created, some not.  He's accustomed to seeing hypocrisy and duplicity in public officials, and he knows how to make a living from it. 

But maybe, just maybe, when he met the Holy Father, he found something that utterly amazed him:  humility, honesty and authenticity.  How medieval!

A kingdom divided against itself will be laid waste.  What causes a kingdom to break apart?  Internal divisions.  What causes a person to break apart?  Internal divisions. 

Man is made up of body, mind and soul.  If we are not careful in taking care of all three, then we will fall apart.

Body.  We need to take care of our body.  We need to exercise, eat right and sleep well.  We all know this, but we have to do it.  This is the challenge, for these three things are essential for a healthy body, healthy mind and healthy soul.  We just have to be careful not to idolize or glorify our workouts or our body.  It's good to look good, but it's also important to feel good and to be good.  Our body is an important part of who we are, it is our book cover, the face of who we are, the door to our mind and soul. 

Mind. What are you reading?  Be careful of what you read.  It can have a profound impact on your thoughts, words and actions.  What are you constantly looking at?  Be careful.  This is where good or bad habits begin.  What are you feeding your mind?  How are your conversations?  Are they positive or negative?  Do you enjoy hanging around negative people?  Be careful.  Their thoughts can easily become your thoughts.  Divorced people tend to inspire married people to get a divorce.  It doesn't always happen, but it can definitely happen.  I know. 

Of course a healthy body can help a healthy mind, but a sick mind and distort and twist a healthy body, or at least the image of a healthy body.  Kids can easily get a twisted view of their body by what they read, hear or watch.  As much as we hate it, a lot of our children's information comes from superficial shows and music.

Did I mention music?  Oh my.  Music has an incredible power over us.  As soon as we turn on the radio, the song that's on can either cheer me up or help me to sulk in my bad mood.  Now imagine hearing it over and over and over again on your personal device?  Do you get what I mean?

We have to take care of our minds.  A few days ago, I went to see the movie "Gone Girl."  I was shocked! I hadn't seen an R movie in a very long time and I soon remembered why.  It is revolting, sickening and disgusting.  We tend to call people "crazy" just to make ourselves feel better about ourselves - like this could never happen to a normal person.  Although I found the movie revolting, I also found it to be very realistic, especially in its portrayal of talk show programs. 

It has taken me a while to clear my mind. 

Read good books, holy books, inspiring and motivational books.  Get a good dose of uplifting and encouraging music.  Take the time to reflect and to meditate on life in general and in particular - your life!  Get out of the office and home.  Take a walk.  Go hiking.  Get some sun.  Clear the mind of all those petty little things that can clog it.  A healthy mind opens the door to a healthy body image and holy soul.

Soul.  I need faith, hope and love to live!  I need to be able to see beyond the brutal facts of the day and beyond what eye can see and ear can hear. I need a lively faith, a vibrant hope and a holy love life.    I need to pray.  I need a retreat.  I need to go to Communion and Confession. 

I need the Lord in my soul.  It's time to drive out all demons!

A healthy soul opens the door to a long life.  To eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.