Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Lk 12:35-38 Turning The Tables

Tuesday of the Twenty-Ninth Week in Ordinary Time
(Click here for readings)

By FR. ALFONSE NAZZARO

Jesus said to his disciples:  "Gird your loins and light your lamps and be like servants who await their master's return."

Gird your loins!  We hear this expression all the time.  But what exactly does it mean.  Here is a diagram to help you understand it's literal meaning.

 
 
So what is the Lord telling us?  Start moving!  Get going!  Get ready!  Swing into action.  Make your life an action verb.  And remember; for the Lord, to SERVE is the most important action verb there is.
 
God loves people who serve Him.  And to serve Him above all others guarantees serving others well.  Service completes the picture of who we are and why we are here.  It brings purpose and meaning to an otherwise boring existence. 
 
Hunting and gathering was never man's purpose in life; it was simply a means to survive.  Instead, man's purpose in life is to discover.  That's it!  Something easy to put into words yet deep - really deep - in meaning.  To discover who you are (an image and likeness of the Creator) and what you are (a big bang of love) brings joy to man's deepest desire:  GOD.
 
Growing up I always wanted to be rich.  I just never imagined in a million years it would look like this.  I am filthy rich!  My faith is a treasure.  My vocation is a blessing.  What I do; what I say; how I live is priceless, beyond words, beyond description, beyond value.  If I ever lost these tings, I would be lost like a man wandering in the desert.  If I ever had to go back to what I was doing before, I would feel like I had lost a ring from the Lord, a love letter from my Lover, an invitation to His banquet.
 
Turning the Tables.  But the Lord does not like to be outdone.  He will not be outdone in love, forgiveness or in generosity.  Whatever I have grudgingly given to Him, He has willingly given back to me, with blessing after blessing. 
 
When I gave Him my raw life, He returned it refined.
 
When the Master arrives to his home, what will He do?  His Love will return to his servants. "Amen, I say to you, he will gird himself, have [his servants] recline at table, and proceed to wait on them."
 
The Lord loves to turn the tables on His unsuspecting servants.  Those who served Him will be served by Him.  Those who waited for Him will be waitered by Him.  Christ will not be outdone, neither in His life nor by His death.
 
He has turned the tables on us and we are glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.