Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Lk 6:12-16 Praying Includes Listening

Feast of Saints Simon and Jude, Apostles(Click here for readings)

Jesus went up to the mountain to pray, and he spent the night in prayer to God.  When day came, he called his disciples to himself, and from them he chose Twelve, whom he also named Apostles...

Pray before any important decisions.  The Lord spent the entire night in prayer to His heavenly Father.  Why?  Because He had to make an important decision.  He had to pick Twelve men who would extend His work on earth - that is, live with Him, in Him and through Him.  And so the Lord spent the night in prayer.

Now I doubt the Lord spent the entire night trying to figure out who to pick.  No.  Knowing something about the priesthood, I am convinced He spent the entire night praying for their sanctification - that they would persevere till the end of their lives. 

What is the purpose of prayer?  To unite ourselves, our loved ones and our world to the Will of the Father.  This is Christ's personal prayer: "that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.  May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you sent me" (cf. Jn 17:21). 

The purpose of prayer is to unite our body, mind and soul to the Will of the Father; that I may love what He loves, and hate what He hates and do what He always does.  [Yes, I can perform miracles as well!]  Prayer is not some cute thing.  It is essential to the pursuit of happiness, for true happiness is directly related to God's plan for me.

Are you praying?  Are you spending some quality time with the Lord?

Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.  I admit it.  I'm not a very good listener, but I don't think it's because I don't try.  God knows I try.  I think it's because some people just love to talk (especially at the worst moments possible), and talk about what they want to talk about. 

Stop doing this to others!  Stop forcing nice people to listen to you go on and on and on.  Twitter's success has proven that we can say something in less than 140 characters.

When you speak, do you give others a chance to say something [This includes God].  Try it out.  Let's all avoid having one way conversations. 

Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.