Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Sunday, October 12, 2014

Lk 11:27-28 The Gift




Saturday of the Twenty-Seventh Week in Ordinary Time
(Click here for readings)

By KIM ELENEZ




I like to think of the gospel passage in the mass as a present – sure I could peak and see what it is ahead of time, but that would ruin some of the fun (the poignancy.) The church outlines the daily readings and gospel for us at great length. I like to think of it as a gift from the church to me (us) every day. Today was like a small box, with a treasure inside.

While Jesus was speaking,
a woman from the crowd called out and said to him,
“Blessed is the womb that carried you
and the breasts at which you nursed.”
He replied, “Rather, blessed are those
who hear the word of God and observe it.”

This portion of Luke’s gospel is short and sweet. But make no mistake, it is action packed!  Jesus makes a simple point here – when the woman says “blessed is the womb…”,Jesus is quick to point out what Mary really did – she heard God and observed. Or in other words, she heard God and acted accordingly. Mary was not a passive participant in this event, she was all in and accepted the mission ahead.

How do we do this?! I find it hard enough to listen to what God is saying to me personally, then add in all the pressures of the day – work being the monopoly of my time! If purely willing the good of others at work, won’t that stifle my professional advancement? If I give all the credit to someone else, I’ll miss out. I’ll be passed over. I. I. I.

A number of years ago, I had an incredible boss. He genuinely didn’t care if he got the credit. He only cared that we succeed. Granted, he owned the company so I suppose he didn’t need the credit. Or did he? Shouldn’t the owner take all the credit as to elevate his position outside of the company? That’s a very typical response, but not his. The result was employees with an unwavering loyalty. When the company was hit hard in 2007, the staff asked for a 20% salary reduction to help keep the company (and the owner) afloat.  Humbled, he refused.  The company endured, though it took time. I can’t pretend to know what the Lord told him, but I imagine it had something to do with servant leadership. Clearly, he chose to listen and observe.

God asks us to perform great acts in His name. However the act of carrying and giving birth to the Son of God has already been done. That opportunity is passed, and you were not chosen to carry it out. But you where chosen to carry out other great acts for Him – a treasured gift! The challenge is listening and doing. Mary did that, in the purest most humble way.


This meditation was written by Kim Elenez, wife, mother and media executive in Raleigh, NC. Kim converted to Catholicism in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.