Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, October 18, 2010

Luke 10:1-9 I Chose You from the World

Luke 10-: 1-9 I Chose You from the World

Last night I had my customary dinner with some friends and families from St. Ann to celebrate the final hours of our Sunday. As we were waiting for a table, a gentleman came up to me and told me that he had left the Holy Spirit in the party room (that was the room we were waiting for). I thanked him. He asked me if I was filled with the Holy Spirit. I told him, “I am, especially when I received the gift of the Holy Spirit in baptism, confirmation and ordination (the imposition of the Bishop’s - the successor of the Holy Apostles - hands).” He told me that he was once a priest, a Jesuit, but as soon as he left, he received the gift of the Holy Spirit that made him a true priest, prophet and King. Based on his inability to answer some simple questions, I doubt he was ever an ordained priest, but I proceeded to ask him if he was married. He told me he was, with the Holy Spirit. But after a little prodding, he finally admitted that the woman standing next to him was his wife. He asked me if I ever spoke in tongues. I told him, “Never, just like Christ.” He didn’t seem to like that answer and the conversation quickly turned into a debate. In the end, I hope I left this middle-aged pastor with enough questions to question his understanding of Sacred Scripture, salvation and the gift of the priesthood.

He did tell me one thing that made me angry. He told me that he was speaking to me because he loved me. I told this man that I didn’t need his sentimental or emotional love, and that if he truly loved me, then he would love me the same way the Lord loves me: by giving me the Truth. I then told him that I loved him and proceeded to share with him the Truth.

The greatest temptation against the Lord’s second commandment (Love your neighbor as yourself) is to fight evil with evil. The greatest temptation against the Lord’s first commandment (Love God with all your heart, soul and mind) is to create, mold and fashion a god in our image and likeness. It is a temptation that we all face on a daily basis. If I feel like I have the Holy Spirit, then I can assume I do. If I feel like I am loved by God, then I am. If I feel like I am doing good, then I must be doing God’s work. If I am happy, then the Lord must be happy. If I am in pain, then the Lord must be disappointed in me. If I live my life like this, then I will be more than a priest, a prophet or a king. I will be the King of kings. I will be my very own god. We know that Christ was not filled with joy as he hung on the Cross. But it was pleasing to the Father. The Lord demands love from us: that we know the Truth, embrace the Truth, love the Truth and share the Truth. This is the greatest act of love imaginable. Not too many feelings are involved here. Not once do I hear of Christ’s feelings, nor for that matter, his Apostles. I may be wrong, but I cannot recollect a single moment, when the Lord acted on his feelings. “I must go to Jerusalem” is an act of the will, not of his feelings.

Planned Parenthood’s “religious department” attempted to take on faithful Catholics with the following argument: that “abortion is a decision between me and my God.” Of course, what other god could there possibly be except “my god” which leaves us with a schizophrenic god who will tell some people “this is wrong” while others “it’s alright”. This very intelligent, very American and very protestant argument is very much wrong.

“I chose you from the world, to go and bear fruit that will last forever.” My god will always be a fleeting god, whose fruit will rot as quickly as I, and die as quickly as I. The culture of death is constantly dying to itself. This god has no Life because it has no depth, no roots. Its laborers deserve no payment, no welcoming and no home. They take with them the goods of the world, the goods of the poor and fill their pockets with them. Peter lamented, “We have left everything to follow you.” The Lord responded not with sympathy but with a promise and the truth: “Amen, amen I say to you, ‘every one that has forsaken houses, or brothers, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive a hundred times, and shall inherit everlasting life.’” (Mt 19:29) And these words come from the King James Version of the Bible.

What protestant pastor, evangelist, or minister has followed these words from the Lord?

May I never boast in anything, except in the cross of the Lord.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Fr. Alfonse,
    AMEN!!! Thank you for preaching the Truth!
    I have never heard the greatest temptation of the First Commandment put as simply and clearly as you did today. It is so true...we try to make our god into our OWN image and likeness, and how pompous we are to do that! As if we could create a superior god to Our Lord!!! But it definitely is how Satan is working in the world. It is all about "ME". And yet, all of our created gods have failed miserably. Look at all of the hurt and suffering in the world. What deep sorrow it causes, these lives based on lies, and it will continue until the Truth is preached over and over and lives are changed. We must say no to the world and yes to God, even when it is unpopular and difficult. Until we do, our children will continue to live in a world where they are encouraged to grow up too soon, where innocence is lost, and purity is mocked. And we must not forget that we, too, are children...children of God! He wants us to live the Truth, not some watered down version that plays to our emotions and feelings. He loves us too much, and we must love Him in return.
    So, thank you for preaching the Truth! The Truth is what God wants for us, and we need it so badly. We are blessed to have you at St. Joseph. And, because of your courage, I know that God will someday say to you, "Well done, good and faithful servant!"
    Please keep it up, and may God bless you! You are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Father Alfonse,
    Thank you so much for speaking the Truth!
    It is amazing what a good confession can do for me! I know what I must do...things are clear.
    As a convert, there is nothing more than I love and appreciate more than our Church! Well, besides the trinity of course! Whenever I am having a hardtime with a specific sin or my beliefs, I always go back and remember the time I waited and waited to receive Jesus in the Eucharist! I will NEVER forget the feeling of receiving him on that Easter Vigil in 1996! What a gift! No sin, is worth not seeing the face of God! One of my favorite verses is Matthew 16:18, AND SO I SAY TO YOU, YOU ARE PETER, AND UPON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH, AND THE GATES OF THE NETHERWORLD SHALL NOT PREVAIL AGAINST IT. Now, for 2000 years the church has had its "problems" but it has stayed strong on the right path. The netherworld has not prevailed. Why? Why would that be? Because it is the Truth! Again, Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Father Alfonse havent read your blog in a while so I am doing some catching up here. I especially appreciate you speaking the truth when it comes to organizations such as planned parenthood. The only plan that organization has is to make sure that people do not become parents in fact they make sure that the women who come in there have abortions because that is where they make their money. If you know any one who wants to get some more information on it there is a book on the prolife shelf in the church library called Blood Money, it is written by Carol Evert I think I spelled her name correctly and it tells about the time she spent as a director I think she held positions like that with the organization and how she got out of it and is now very prolife because now she goes around giving her testiminy against planned parenthood,and I think she converted to Catholcism

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Fr. Alfonse,
    I liked your comment to the man about speaking in tongues.
    I have never understood what that is all about. I have heard people speaking in tongues and have been told that if I am open then I too can have this gift.
    I don't understand what they are saying and I don't think they understand what they are saying either.
    I understand what is said in Acts 2:4 when it says they "began to speak in different tongues, as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim." They were speaking in different languages but were able to understand one another symbolizing the worldwide mission of the Church.
    When they were speaking in tongues they were speaking words.
    I am not trying to be disrespectful of people who believe in this gift but I don't understand it. Am I missing something when it comes to speaking in tongues?

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.