Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Luke 12:39-48 Much is Expected

Luke 12-: 39-48 Much Is Expected

(Click here for reading)

If I am rooted in Christ, then I will not fear anything or anyone. If I were to feel any fear, confusion or anxiety, then the Lord tells me, “Fear not.” Do I realize that one soul is more important than anything else, and that God is more important than any soul?

I must focus on Christ, rooted in faith, rooted in prayer. Good governments and good politicians are not enough. There is only a certain amount of security that man and his laws can provide. Do I still believe that we can redeem ourselves? Do I still believe that we can save our planet? The world? Do I still believe that we can solve the problem of world hunger, poverty, and war? Yes, but only if we are united to the Savior of the World, the Redeemer of man, the Lord who became poor so that I could become rich. We will never do it alone. The root of all pain and suffering, war and disease, famine and poverty is sin.

Francis Bacon, a philosopher from England, was dead wrong when he lead others to believe that man could or would be redeemed by science (as if science were the solution to all of man’s problems). I am reminded of a similar comment I heard once before, that money solves 99% percent of all our problems. What you do not hear often, in our money hungry and consumer driven society, is that money creates 99% of all our problems. We do not have to minimize the good qualities of science. But we should also recognize the dangers of science. As our minds grow bigger and are hearts grow smaller, we run the risk of extermination! Science and technology can also destroy mankind unless they are steered by forces outside of it (Pope Benedict XVI).

My problem does not rest with atheists, scientists, rock musicians, politicians or presidents. The problem is with me! My fears are the problem. My fear to teach the truth and to teach the faith is my biggest problem. How many of my decisions are rooted in fear? Even if I am covered with 99% of doubt and only 1% of Christ, the Lord points to me and tells me to “Come follow me!” The scary part is “where much is given, much is expected.” St. Paul tells us, “Woe to me if I do not preach the Gospel.” The Lord tells Peter, “The servant who knew his master’s will but did not act in accord with his will shall be beaten severely; the servant who was ignorant of his master’s will but acted in a way deserving of a severe beating shall be beaten only lightly.” I believe Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and Stephen Hawking and all the other ignorant atheists and humanists may be in for a surprise: mercy. And all those who claim to be Christian may be in for a much bigger surprise. “Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.”

Fear is the guillotine of Saints! Today, let us repeat the words of the prophet Isaiah (Is 12:2-3).

God indeed is my savior;

I am confident and unafraid.

My strength and my courage is the LORD,

and he has been my savior.

With joy you will draw water at the fountain of salvation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.