Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mt 13:1-9 Whoever Has Ears ought to Hear

Matthew 13:1-9 Whoever has ears ought to hear

(Click here for reading)

“In you Lord I take refuge; let me never be put to shame” (Ps. 71). Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life. There is only one way to live life: Christ’s way. We were made in his image and likeness. We were formed in the Father’s womb: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you” (Jeremiah 1:4). We were loved like no other: “It was very good!” (Gen. 1:31)

Great crowds gathered to hear Jesus speak. What did they hear? What they wanted to hear? On the contrary, the Lord set into motion a new way of life with new commandments and new goals to reach! It was no longer about saving one’s “skin” but saving others skins regardless of the cost to your own skin!

The Sower works all day long, in the sun, under the sun, and under the heat of the sun. The same goes for the Christian. He must work all day long, in the Son, under the Son and under the radiance of the Son. All his work is driven by God’s providence. Where he works depends on where he walks. Who he meets depends on how far he walks.

Seed that falls on rocky ground


“Some seed fell on rocky ground and was scorched.”
These are the people who have hearts of stone -nothing will penetrate. They have some sort of “curiosity” towards Christianity but are not willing to take the necessary steps to change their lives? They live comfortably in sin, dying a slow death, submitting to the “times”, or the “way things are today.” They go to Church, but “just going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.” (G.K. Chesterton). They do not have ears to hear.


Seed that falls among the thorns

They go to church, looking for the warm and fuzzy Jesus, the “make me feel good Gospel”. They go looking for what they want to hear. But as soon as the Gospel of life, the Gospel of truth, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is preached and becomes challenging, they start looking around – church hopping. They are Christians but “their way.” G.K. Chesterton once wrote, “I don’t want to belong to a church that tells me I’m wrong when I know I’m wrong. I want to belong to a church that tells me I’m wrong when I think I’m right!” They have ears, but selective hearing.


Seed that fell on rich soil

These are the Christians that decide to live the Christian life based on “The Christ.” They are willing to do what the Lord demands from them; to be “childlike.” They are open to the Gospel; willing to walk the talk; willing to allow the grain to die, survive and succeed. Whoever has ears ought to hear.

1 comment:

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.